Exercise Series Overview
On November 4, 2018, WMATA will conduct a full-scale exercise at the Franconia-Springfield Metrorail station to provide regional emergency responders and WMATA personnel with the opportunity to practice responding to the emergency. WMATA invites members of the community to join in the excitement as volunteer passengers. Volunteers will act out the role of a Metro rider who is on the train at the time of the emergency and will be able to see first-hand how regional emergency responders handle the situation.
- Metro will provide volunteers with a safety briefing prior to boarding the train.
- Volunteers who are able to do so will walk back to the station platform.
- Volunteers without mobility concerns should expect to be accessing the roadway under the direction of the fire department. We anticipate the fire department utilizing special carts to transport any volunteers with mobility concerns.
- Participation is limited to those 13 years of age and older.
- Anyone younger than 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Sign-in will begin at 6:30 AM at the Franconia-Springfield Metrorail Station.
- Prior to the exercise WMATA will provide a volunteer waiver form to all registered volunteers via email. Please sign and bring this form with you to the exercise.
- At the end of the exercise, no later than 1:00 PM, volunteers will be right back where they started their day and can leave after their debrief.
WMATA will provide volunteers with the following throughout the exercise:
- Free parking (Parking Information will be shared prior to the exercise)
- ID badge for the exercise
- Refreshments on the morning of the exercise and water during the exercise
- Safety training before the exercise
- Debrief with the opportunity to provide feedback after the exercise
- WMATA can sign for or provide documentation for volunteers who require it for certifications or program participation, including Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and other service organizations - just bring your form!
For your safety, volunteers should consider the following:
- It will be cool on the train. We are expecting a late fall weather day so the weather may be cool for some volunteers. Please wear layers to help you stay warm. We will provide you with drinks, but there will be no restroom on the train.
- Wear durable clothing and close-toed shoes. We recommend that you wear clothing that you do not mind getting dirty as well as clothes-toed shoes. You will be accessing the roadway and will likely come in contact with brake dust and other materials that can get you and your clothes dirty. If you do not have closed-toed shoes you will not be able to participate in the exercise.