Photograph the Wildlife of the Panamanian Rainforest
Discover the biodiversity of Central America as we photograph the wildlife of western Panama. On this unique photo safari, you'll photograph rainforest birds, mammals, insects and more. Observe colorful birds from a 65' high observation tower, tour the rainforest with experienced naturalist guides, and enjoy home-cooked meals at our airconditioned eco lodge retreat.
When: April 5-11, 2020 from Panama City, Panama
Experience Level: Intermediate to advanced
You are expected to have a working knowledge of exposure and how to set up your camera's exposure and autofocus settings.
Maximum Group Size: 8 Photographers*
- Wildlife Photography
- Macro & close-up photography with flash
Day 1: Arrive in Panama City, where you will be transferred to our group hotel. Depending on your arrival time, you are free to explore Panama City on your own. We will meet for orientation and a group dinner at 5pm.
Day 2: Air transfer to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. We will be met by our guides and taken to Tranquilo Bay resort by boat. After we check in at our lodge, we'll take nature walks into the rainforest to photograph birds and other wildlife.
Day 3-5: Wildlife photography sessions at Tranquilo Bay. Photograph birds, sloths, amphibians and insects. Macro/flash photography of insects, reptiles, and amphibians.
SAN SAN POND SAK WETLANDS | BIRDING & WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY BY BOAT
We will travel by boat to the Schneider canal, where we will see kingfishers, tanagers, herons, and other shorebirds. This tour is only available to workshop participants.
Day 6: Return to Panama City by air and transfer to our group hotel near Tocumen International Airport
Day 7: Depart for home
Tranquilo Bay Eco Adventure Lodge
Tranquilo Bay Eco Adventure Lodge is strategically located in the epicenter of national parks and protected reserves. The well-appointed lodge and its amenities, reside on 200-forested acres covering three distinct ecosystems, adjacent to Bastimentos Island National Marine Park, within the La Amistad UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. The main lodge’s veranda, private cabanas and canopy observation tower provide elevated decks for a birds-eye view of the extraordinary wildlife found here. Several kilometers of hiking trails, in addition to the lodge’s grounds, often provide encounters with Two and Three-toed sloths, White-faced Capuchin and Panamanian Night Monkeys, Nine-banded Armadillo, Spectacled Caiman, Central American Woolly Opossum, Grey Four-eyed Opossum, Northern Tamandua, Greater White-lined Bats, kettles of migrating raptors, Three-wattled Bellbird, Golden-collard Manakin (several leks), and hummingbird bathing pools.
All cabins are air-conditioned and have their own water purification system.
- Canopy Observation Tower: At 100' above sea level, you'll have stunning views of the rainforest canopy and you'll be able to see dozens of bird species. Photograph the parrots in the mornings and evenings from the tower.
- Snorkeling & Sea Kayaking
- Night hiking: Observe nocturnal mammals on a guided night hike on-site
- Optional activities: Snorkeling boat tours, bat cave tour, chocolate farm tour (price varies by tour and can be purchased on-site)
- Two nights hotel in Panama City (April 5 and April 10th)
- Airport transfers to and from group hotel in Panama City
- Air transportation to Bocas del Toro
- Airport transfers between Bocas del Toro and Tranquilo Bay
- Bilingual naturalist guides
- Group photo tours as described above
- Meals, snacks and beverages at Tranquilo Bay (includes house wine/beer/local rum at dinner)
- Travel to and from Panama City from your home city
- Tips, departure tax, top-shelf alcoholic beverages, and entrance fees and meals in Panama City.
$3049 per person (double occupancy room)
$3875 per person (single room)
$2699 non-participant companion* (when booking with a photographer) contact me directly if you wish to book a companion.
*Non-photographers will not go on the Canal Birding excursion. These guests will have access to use of facilities, and one session each day with available naturalist guides. Any additional activities or excursions can be purchased onsite.
A deposit of $1000 per person will reserve your seat on this tour until December 31, 2019.
Deposits are non-refundable after October 31, 2019 or if the event is cancelled by the organizer.
Full payment is due January 5, 2020.
All participants must have travel insurance to cover medical emergencies during the trip. I strongly recommend travel insurance to protect your investment in this tour in the event that you are unable to attend.