Go for Gold: Exploring Olympic Data through Data Visualization
In this workshop, the students will:
- Explore data from the 1896-2014 Summer Olympics
- Analyze medal data by athlete, sport, year, and country
- Build a dashboard that shows how 1 country has performed in the Summer Olympics
This is a hands-on and case-study based workshop.
What will you need to participate in this event
1. Computer with internet connectivity and web browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer)
2. A camera and microphone to be able to share work
3. Students will need to download Tableau Public and the datasets in advance. More information will be shared after registration.
Targeted at young women grades 5-8, but any student is welcomed.
PLEASE NOTE: This event is at 11am Pacific Time / 1pm Central Time / 2pm Eastern Time
There are a limited number of seats available for this event, so please register early!
Do I need to know how to use a computer before I attend this event?
This will be a webinar event. Girls will need the help of their parent or guardian to login into the event url.
Girls who have the most fun and are most successful in this workshop have basic computer skills before attending.
These participants are able to navigate and control a computer on their own and understand concepts such as double clicking, clicking and dragging, how to open and close applications, and internet browsers.
What do I do on the day of?
Girls will need to sign into the event a few minutes before webinar start time to ensure we start on time.
Students will need to download Tableau Public and the datasets in advance. More information will be shared after registration.
Are there minimum age requirements to enter the event?
The event is targeted at young women grades 5-8, but with strong computing skills a younger attendee will enjoy themselves.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.girlsplusdata.org for more information
What is the refund policy?
At this time our partnership with EventZilla does not allow refunds.
What webinar tool is girls+data using?
At this time we are leveraging Zoom's meeting feature.
What measures is girls+data doing to ensure a safe virtual training experience?
With the latest Zoom issues, girls+data is taken the following the security measures:
- password protected Zoom meetings
- only registered email addresses will be admitted
- meeting will not start without the host
- volunteers monitoring the chat
- restricted content sharing to girls+data hosts only