Want to learn how to interact with DHIS2’s API? To perform impressive functions that the manual user interface doesn’t allow?
DHIS2 is an open-source, web-based platform most used as a health management information system internationally. It allows organizations to customize their instances to meet their specific needs.
Over recent years, we heard from users that they want to harness the power of the DHIS2 data management platform and its API to extend beyond the manual user interface.
An API is a set of instructions that allow for the exchange of information between computers and people. The modern web is built on these APIs, as is DHIS2.
Do you want to learn how to interact with DHIS2’s API to perform functions that the manual user interface doesn’t support?
This course transforms the process of system maintenance and configuration, providing vital access and information right at your fingertips.
- easily viewing all organization units that were created after a certain point in time,
- all data sets assigned to a particular organization unit,
- how many dashboards exist in a particular DHIS2 instance,
- and the date when and user who last updated the dashboards.
The 3-day course will start by showing you the basic principles of REST APIs and how to apply them to DHIS2, including the types of requests, and the operators and filters that can be used to retrieve metadata and data in DHIS2 in the way that best suits your needs.
We will then progress to cover more intermediate techniques for retrieving, sending and modifying metadata and data in DHIS2. The training will enable you to perform operations beyond what is offered by the standard DHIS2 interface.
It will also provide a greater understanding of how and why DHIS2 works the way it does, as well as how to troubleshoot any DHIS2 instance using the API and a browser's built-in tools.
By the end of 3 days, you will have a deeper understanding of the comprehensive and powerful capabilities of DHIS2’s Web API, and advanced skills to apply these capabilities to your own DHIS2 instance.
Unlocking DHIS2’s API includes:
- Insightful presentations explaining the key API concepts
- Guided, visual demonstrations of the functionality and features of DHIS2’s Web API
- Hands-on exercises to apply key concepts, maximize learning and gain practical experience using the API
- Access to training materials and API resources to support your ongoing work in DHIS2
- Certificate of completion to share your achievement
This course will cover immediate API information for all three data models: Aggregate, Event and Tracker. It will also provide highlights of the New Tracker API for DHIS2 2.37+.
Highly experienced DHIS2 experts with real-world experience using the API to support DHIS2 implementations and projects around the world will help you learn to navigate the API, enabling you to get the most out of your DHIS2 instance.
Intermediate understanding of DHIS2’s data model and configuration is essential. Participants should know foundational concepts and terminology of DHIS2. No working knowledge of REST APIs is required.
The Unlocking DHIS2’s API course is aimed at any user wanting to learn more about DHIS2’s Web API, what it is and how it can be leveraged to support DHIS2 maintenance and configuration.
Target trainees include, but are not limited to:
- M&E staff,
- DHIS2 system administrators,
- program managers,
- and anyone responsible for maintaining a DHIS2 project instance.