Hello Toronto CI 50 Attendee RUNNING EVENT ONLY UNTIL 3 PM Due to weather conditions, we have shortened the day to 3:00 pm. We are doing this because we figure that as it snows more and becomes dark conditions will get worse.
NEW FRIDAY SCHEDULE WITH 3 PM ENDING Ariel Llama had confirmed his afternoon DJ set but other teachers have not yet confirmed that change or whether they can attend at all today. So the schedule is subject to change. PLEASE DO NOT HIGHWAY DRIVE We also ask that anyone that has to highway-drive to get to the event or get home from the event not attend today. We will be sad not to have you there but we want you to stay safe. We also ask that anyone who is at all worried about getting home after a 3 pm end time not attend. FRIDAY REFUNDS BY REQUEST WILL BE GIVEN REAson d'etre dance will offer a full refund for Friday with no service fees attached so that there is no financial pressure to come to get your money's worth. jsut email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want a refund. "FRIDAY NIGHT" AND "MOVE" TICKET PURCHASERS ARE WELCOME TO COME TO ARIEL LLAMA FROM 1 PM TO 2:45 PM DJ SET. May we all make good choices today that keep us safe
BANNER IMAGE DESCRIPTION A large studio with floor-to-ceiling windows lets in diffused sunlight. 25 dancers in various states of weight are dancing contract improvisation including a dancer using a wheelchair.
DESCRIPTION: We welcome dancers from Toronto and the surrounding area to join us on December 22nd and 23rd, 2022 at the National Ballet School to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Contact Improvisation. This 50th-anniversary jam aims to be a dance-focused exploration of Contact Improv’s past, present, and future, featuring classes, workshops, and open jams. All types of bodies, identities, and levels of experience are welcome in this wheelchair-friendly and access-focused space. Teachers will be local from Toronto and surrounding areas to create a festival that has a low carbon footprint. A BIPOC affinity dance jam and a disability lead access-focused dance jam are part of the programming. 2.5% of all fees collected will be donated to the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto in honour and support of the process of reconciliation. We are offering sliding scale rates to increase financial access. There is also a facilitated community visioning session and an underscore to celebrate Nancy Stark Smith.
VISION: This programming is inspired by the values of the organizing team. They are:
- Support the development of Contact Improvisation in Toronto and surrounding areas.
- Support conversation and networking to vitalize and strengthen the Contact Improvisation community.
- Support the COVID recovery process that divided and separated community members with an event that we hope will be uniting for all.
- Responsible climate considerations
- Focus on accessibility and creative leadership roles for those with disabilities.
- Focus on accessibility and creative leadership roles for those who face marginalization or who are underrepresented in our community (both visible and invisible).
- Provide accommodations within the scope of what we can offer and the competing access needs that arise.
- Support dance spaces that build a consent culture.
ORGANISING TEAM: Ariel Brink, Jessica Houghton, Sarah Jones, Liav Koren, Suzanne Liska, Kathleen Rea, and Jayeden Walker.
SCHEDULE: GRID Schedule Toronto CI 50 or LIST Schedule Toronto CI 50
DATES AND TIMES:
Thursday, December 22, 2022, from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
Friday, December 23, 2022, from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
LOCATION: Celia Franca Centre, 400 Jarvis St, Toronto, ON M4Y 2G6, Canada (Wheelchair accessible and barrier-free)
RATES ON A CHOOSE-YOUR-OWN SLIDING SCALE ACCORDING TO YOUR SITUATION
If you want to take one class only just show up and we will work out a price.
$175 Full two days - for those that are gainfully employed or can make this purchase without financial worry and who want to give extra.
$150 Full two days - for those that are gainfully employed or can make this purchase without financial worry.
$125 Full two days- for folks that would have to consult their budget before registering.
$100 Full two days - for people that can’t otherwise afford this event.
$75 Full two days - for people who can’t otherwise afford this event.
$80 One Full Day, either Thursday, Dec 22 or Friday, Dec. 23
$50 One Full Day, either Thursday, Dec 22 or Friday, Dec. 23 - for people that can’t otherwise afford this event.
$30 Thursday night only
$30 Friday night only
$10 Just Henry's Thursday Beginner Contact Improv Workshop
$10 Just The EVERY BODY Can Dance Jam
$20 Just the MOVE DJed by Ariel Llamas
$25 A workshop or jam of my choice.
SCHOLARSHIPS: No one gets turned away due to a lack of funds. Contact email@example.com if you need more support than the above sliding scales affords.
TEACHERS: Check back soon for details
ACCESS: Celia Franca Center is a barrier-free wheelchair-accessible space. Wellesley is the closest subway station with an elevator. If you have accessibility questions or want to discuss accommodation that you may need please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
JAM GUIDELINES: All participants must read at the point of purchase.
Please send questions to email@example.com
We ask that all attendees coming to a substantial amount of the festival sign up for a minimum of one volunteer hour over the two days. There will be a sign-up sheet at the entrance for you to pick what activity and shift you would like to do. This is voluntary so you can opt-out of this ask.
- DISTRIBUTING COVID TEST KITS: REAson d' etre dance (RDD) is a distributor of COVID tests. You can pick up a five-pack from us at the Toronto CI 50 event front desk.
- TEST AT HOME: We will not be testing at the front desk and ask participants to test at home before they arrive. If you have yet to test at home we will give you a box of five tests and you can find a spot to test yourself onsite.
- THROAT, CHEEK, and NOSTRILS: We ask that all testers swab their throat, checks, and nostrils.
- MASKING: Masking is optional except for the EVERY BODY Can Dance Jam, which will be mask-required.
VACCINE: All levels of vaccinations and non-vaccination are welcome.
- Do you agree to read through and comply with our RDD's dance Jam Guidelines at the point of purchase?
- If you are a beginner to CI do you agree to read through RDD's Beginner Tip Sheet prior to entrance to the event?
- Do you agree not to attend if you are sick? Are you experiencing any of the following COVID-19 symptoms: breathing difficulties, fever, coughing, loss of smell or taste, sore throat, headache, muscle pain, chills, and/or night sweats? If so you must not attend the Toronto CI 50 event and we will give you a refund (- 5% admin fee) if you have already paid.
- Do you recognize that despite these screening, disinfecting, mask-wearing, and antigen testing protocols there is still some risk in meeting socially indoors to practice Contact Improvisation? Do you accept this risk as part of your participation?
This event aims to have a low-carbon footprint event. That said if you are able to take the train or car-pool here you are welcome and we will try to billet you or your group. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the nonpublic google drive billet spreadsheet that we use to match people.
REFUND POLICY: All refunds will be minus a $5 admin fee charge.
FUNDING: This event is supported by the Toronto Arts Council, and some of the equipment was partially funded through an Ontario Trillium Foundation grant.
PRODUCED BY: REAson d’etre dance (RDD) www.reasondetre.com