Join Jason Odell to explore fine-art landscape photography techniques in an environment that can only be described as surreal. You will explore light, texture and clouds over the tremendous rock formations that have formed from erosion over the last 500,000 years.
When: August 26-30, 2020
Where: South Dakota Badlands (Wall, SD)
This workshop is the perfect setting for photographers who not only want to photograph spectacular scenery, but also learn the behind the scenes techniques for processing and workflow, including HDR, infrared, monochrome, and long exposures.
Each day, we will have the opportunity download and process our images together as a group, get critiques, and learn new techniques to make your photos into fine-art masterpieces. I will work with you to capture and process the best possible images into beautiful finished products. Our focus will be on the complete end to-end workflow of landscape photography, from composition to final digital or print output.
COVID-19 Update (5/28/2020)
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, I am implementing the following safe workshop policies for this event.
- Workshop group size has been reduced to a maximum of six (6) photographers
- All participants are required to have their own transportation to the field sites (no carpooling)
- All field activities will require adherence to appropriate social distancing measures, including the use of cloth face coverings when appropriate.
- I will not conduct group classroom sessions indoors. Instead, we will share/review/critique images via videoconference, or outside if possible.
- I will provide instruction to the group via video conference either during the workshop (assuming the internet at the hotel cooperates) or afterwards in private group classes online.
- In the event the workshop is cancelled, you will be refunded in full
Day 1: Meet at group hotel at 3pm for orientation and technical setup presentation, followed by an evening photo shoot in the Badlands.
Days 2-4: Morning and evening field photograpy sessions in the Badlands. Each day, we will have post-processing sessions where you will learn how to edit and adjust fine-art landscape photographs. Locations will vary depending on conditions so that we get the best light and maximize our shooting opportunities. Topics will include: Raw processing, local adjustments and sharpening techniques, focus stacking, HDR, and more.
Day 5: Image reveiw session; workshop concludes at 9am.
Instructional Fee: $1299 per photographer (maximum group size: 6)
Your workshop fee includes the following:
- Hands-on field instruction and photography sessions with Jason Odell
- Instruction on digital processing techniques
- Image review and critique sessions
Participants are responsible for:
- Transportation to the field sites & National Park entrance fees
- Transportation to/from Wall, South Dakota
Rapid City, SD (RAP) Approximately 50 minutes from Wall.
Payment & Refund Policy
Deposits are non-refundable unless the event is canceled.
Workshop fee is due in full on July 1, 2020.
Workshop fees are non-refundable unless I back-fill your space.
I recommend protecting your investment with a travel insurance policy.