Single Handing Optimist (Ages 8-12)
For students with any previous sailing experience (OSC or comparable programs) seeking more on water time to advance their skills. Students must be able to sail out of the harbor and make appropriate basic sailing decisions independent of instructor directions.
This class will stress those skills and techniques required to single hand an Optimist. Students will increase their on-the-water confidence by expanding their knowledge of helming skills, of sail trim, and of basic right-of-way rules. Sailing skills and techniques will be discussed, clarified and demonstrated on land prior to each sailing session. The majority of time will be spent on the water. It is anticipated that by the end of this course students will be able to rig, launch and leave the harbor, sail with confidence in a greater range of wind speeds, return to the harbor, dock and unrig their Optimist, all by themselves.
- The program runs 5 days per week.
- Class size is limited to 10 students per session.
- Refunds will be offered if a session is cancelled due to low enrollment.
- Class starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.
- Supervision may not always be available before and after each class session. Please plan to stay with your student until the instructors are ready to begin camp and be on time for pickup.
All students must have a life jacket with attached whistle, sneakers, clothes they are comfortable getting wet in, and a change of clothes. Water-resistant sunscreen is recommended.
SESSION 1/ CLASS DATES: (June 26 - July 7)
Additional sessions depending on demand