This is a closed event for GBIF delegates only, those who have travelled to Ireland to participate in the 25th Govering Board meeting of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility.
The National Biodiversity Data Centre offers delegates attending the 25th Governing Board meeting of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility an excursion to visit the hidden heartlands of Ireland. The trip will provide an introduction to Ireland’s peatlands which are of high international conservation importance and found in high concentration in Ireland’s midlands.
08.45 - assemble in the main lobby of Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
09.00 - Coach departs
The sites visited include:
1. Abbeyleix Bog - a local community led example of restoration of an active raised bog,
2. Slieve Bloom Mountains – land use pressures on conservation of upland blanket bog,
3. Currabeg Bog - the commercial exploitation of a raised bog and
4. Lough Boora Parklands - a large-scale rehabilitated peatland site, post commercial production.
- Dr. Pete Foss, Principal Ecologists - Foss Environmental Consulting, an internationally recognised expert in peatland ecology, conservation and management will accompany the excursion.
- Mr. Chris Uys, Development Officer - Community Wetlands Forum, will meet the excursion at Abbeyleix Bog to introduce the work done by the local community to restore the site.
- Mr. Tom Egan, Land Project Manager - Bord na Móna, will join the excursion at Lough Boora Parklands to talk about the on-site land management issues and Bord na Móna’s activities.
Lunch will be provided on the day in a local Irish Gastropub. Please choose from the following options and inform one of the organisers at the Icebreaker registration desk (Monday 15 October), or at the registration/information desk of the Governing Board meetings (16th & 17th October):
1. Beef and Guinness casserole with creamy mash potato
2. Chicken and mushroom vol au vents served with house salad and hand cut chips
3. Fillet of Salmon, creamy mash, mixed vegetables and a dill cream sauce
4. Goats cheese and sundried tomato salad
5. Spinach & sundried tomato quiche with house salad and baked potato
Price: €25.00 per person.
For more information please visit: https://gb25.gbif.org/en/programme/