Includes on-demand Gottman Level 2 course led by Drs Julie & John Gottman plus downloadable Level 2 manual and two optional two hour live question and answer video conferencing sessions each week with Gottman Master Trainer Sinead Smyth, LMFT (Tuesdays) & Dr. Mike McNulty (Thursdays) each week. More details about the format can be found below.
Gottman Method Couples Therapy Clinical Training:
Level 2: Assessment, Intervention & Co-Morbidities
Presented by Certified Gottman Therapists and Trainers:
Sinead Smyth, LMFT & Dr. Mike McNulty
In this workshop, you will:
· Refine your clinical skills
· Learn to internalize and integrate the powerful, research-based Gottman Method Assessment and Intervention techniques.
· Gain insight as to when to use these methods and when couples therapy is contraindicated.
· Become skilled in using our Level II Clinical Manual which now includes revised Gottman Core Assessments, Gottman Supplemental Assessments and more than 50 Gottman Interventions
· Take part in presentations: practice using Assessments and Interventions in group role-plays, view demonstration films, and participate in extensive discussions with Senior Certified Gottman Therapists and clinicians from around the world.
· Receive supportive coaching from Gottman Consultants, and Senior Certified Gottman Therapists as you participate in experiential exercises.
· Engage in vital dialogue regarding Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
Participants will be able to:
· Assess a couple’s “Friendship Profile,” “Conflict Profile,” and “Shared Meanings Profile.”
· Develop interventions that couples can use as antidotes to the “Four Horsemen.”
· Help couples to soothe physiological flooding.
· Apply six modes of changing the “Attack/Defend System” in a couple’s interactions.
· Assist couples in establishing dialogue about their grid-locked conflicts.
· Select and implement interventions to help couples deepen their “Friendship System” with rituals of connection.
· Select and implement interventions to help couples create a shared system of values and meaning
· Identify and implement five different co-morbidities common to couples using Gottman Couples Therapy Assessment and Intervention
Who Should Attend:
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
- Mental health providers
- Allied professionals and clergy
- Students and interns
- Family clinic staff Professors/teachers of couples therapy
- Researchers in the social sciences
- Employee assistance professionals
Continuing Education: 20 CE Hours
Pre-requisites: You must have completed Gottman Level 1 (Live or Home Study) to register.
The course is approved through PESI for CE hours for no additional fee.
With the challenge of isolation in working from home remotely, and the cancellation of the majority of live conferences, we have developed a model to help our attendees master The Gottman Method, while connecting with other therapists and two Master Trainers from The Gottman Institute.
How does it work?
During this summer experience, you can complete Level 1 training over 2 weeks and Level 2 training over 4 weeks online. The trainings will run over 6 consecutive weeks. This will give you time to master the information and interventions and begin to integrate this powerful approach into your work. You can sign up for either level training, or sign up for both trainings together at a discounted registration fee.
For both levels of training, you may attend up to 2 weekly Q&A and consult sessions where you will get to practice interventions and work closely with two Master Trainers from The Gottman Institute. For Level 1, you have the opportunity for 4 hours of live consultation and Q&A. For Level 2, you have the opportunity for 12-14 hours. The live sessions will take place at 12pm PST, on Tuesday and Thursday.
Pending scheduling and interest, Sinead and Mike will be also doing an online level 3 training in the fall, allowing participants to complete all 3 levels of Gottman Training by the end of 2020 in an atmosphere where therapists get to know and work with one another over time.
What are the benefits to this hybrid live and online format?
You have unlimited access to online downloadable manuals, lectures and videos of Drs. John and Julie Gottman doing live therapy.
You break the training(s) up into a self-paced format, meeting with the Trainers and small groups for practice and live Q & A sessions on a flexible timeline as your schedule permits.
You attend as many live online Q&As as you like over the weeks of the trainings – consult, do a deeper dive into the material, and have multiple opportunities to practice the interventions and get feedback from Master Trainers.
Here’s what attendees at some of our clinical trainings have said :
“Clinical experience and anecdotes were very enlightening. Insights into the purpose of interventions, particularly to build empathy, were very helpful “ A.K., Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent. Sinead and Mike are super at teaching Gottman method.” J.C., San Diego
“Very good at giving feedback/suggestions about where to go next particularly in role play practices”. K.M., Germany.