Includes on-demand Gottman Level 1 course led by Drs Julie & John Gottman plus downloadable Level 1 manual and two one hour live question and answer video conferencing sessions each week with Gottman Master Trainer Sinead Smyth, LMFT (Tuesdays) and Dr. Mike McNulty (Thursday). More details about the format can be found below.
Level 1 Clinical Training
Gottman Method Couples Therapy: Bridging the Couple Chasm
This introductory training provides an overview of the four decades of research on what makes relationships succeed or fail. It teaches the research-based theory of the Sound Relationship House that Drs. John and Julie Gottman developed and offers an integrated method of couples therapy based on that theory, which includes assessment and therapeutic interventions.
Completion of Level 1 training is a prerequisite to Level 2 training and is the first step toward certification as a Gottman Couples Therapist.
As a result of taking this training you will:
· Understand the importance of assessing the couple’s friendship, conflict management and shared meaning systems using interviews, written questionnaires and observation of conflict.
- Be able to summarize the research that predicts relationship stability.
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory.
- Be able to develop an appropriate and effective treatment plan customized to the specific needs of each couple.
- Understand when and how to use Gottman interventions to help couples strengthen their relationship and minimize relapse.
In this training you will learn:
· How couples really sustain their marriages–in contrast to common myths and misconceptions.
· Proven strategies and tools to help couples successfully manage conflict
· Skills that empower partners to dialogue about their worst gridlocked issues
· Methods to help couples process their fights and heal their hurts
· Techniques for couples to deepen their intimacy and minimize relapse
As an attendee at the Level 1 training, you will receive a 300-page manual featuring new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions that you can use immediately with your clients.
Who should attend?
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
· Mental health providers
· Allied professionals and clergy
· Family clinic staff
· Professors/teachers of couples therapy
· Researchers in the social sciences
· Employee assistance professionals
· Graduate Students and Interns
Continuing Education: 12 CE Hours
The course is approved for 12 CE hours at no extra cost.
With the challenge of isolation in working from home remotely, and the cancellation of the majority of live conferences, we have developed a model to help our attendees master The Gottman Method, while connecting with other therapists and two Master Trainers from The Gottman Institute.
How does it work?
During this summer experience, you can complete Level 1 training over 2 weeks and Level 2 training over 4 weeks online. The trainings will run over 6 consecutive weeks. This will give you time to master the information and interventions and begin to integrate this powerful approach into your work. You can sign up for either level training, or sign up for both trainings together at a discounted registration fee.
For both levels of training, you may attend up to 2 weekly Q&A and consult sessions where you will get to practice interventions and work closely with two Master Trainers from The Gottman Institute. For Level 1, you have the opportunity for 4 hours of live consultation and Q&A. For Level 2, you have the opportunity for 12-14 hours. The live sessions will take place at 12pm PST, on Tuesday and Thursday.
Pending scheduling and interest, Sinead and Mike will be also doing an online level 3 training in the fall, allowing participants to complete all 3 levels of Gottman Training by the end of 2020 in an atmosphere where therapists get to know and work with one another over time.
What are the benefits to this hybrid live and online format?
You have unlimited access to online downloadable manuals, lectures and videos of Drs. John and Julie Gottman doing live therapy.
You break the training(s) up into a self-paced format, meeting with the Trainers and small groups for practice and live Q & A sessions on a flexible timeline as your schedule permits.
You attend as many live online Q&As as you like over the weeks of the trainings – consult, do a deeper dive into the material, and have multiple opportunities to practice the interventions and get feedback from Master Trainers.