Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, 8 week course
taught by Elizabeth Lin, MD, MPH
Please review this note from Dr. Lin BEFORE registering to ensure that this class will be a proper fit for your needs.
Class held on Thursdays for 8-weeks.
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
January 9 - February 27, 2020
A retreat will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a scientifically supported program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. to reduce stress and increase well-being. It is flourishing worldwide. This 8 –week course combines contemplative practices based in Eastern philosophy, western psychology, and cutting-edge neuroscience. Attitudes of kindness, acceptance and patience provide a foundation for the practices of sustained focus, self-regulation and self-exploration. A greater sense of balance, choice and freedom is cultivated.
Benefits of MBSR: Participants have remarked, “Mindfulness has changed how I live and see the world, how I interact with others”. This course contributes to:
1. Reduced stress and chronic pain
2. Improved mood
3. Overcoming sleep problems
4. Decreased anxiety
5. Increased immunity
6. Enhanced resilience, joy, and compassion
7. Healthy aging
In this 8-week experiential course consisting of weekly classes, and home practices, participants will learn exercises to:
1. Increase awareness of body sensations (body scan)
2. Mindful movement and stretching (yoga)
3. Awareness of pleasant and unpleasant experiences
4. Awareness of thoughts and emotions
5. Increase compassion for ourselves and others
6. Latest research on mind-body response to stress and change
7. Practices to cultivate mindfulness throughout the day, living each moment to its fullest
8-week course, Thursdays for 2.5 hours
January 9 – February 27, 2020 | 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
6 hour Retreat TBD
** Note that the first and last class may go 15 minutes longer **
$370.00: Regular registration
$375.00: Registration with clock hours or a certificate of completion to use for CEUs
UW Affiliate Discount
20% off for UW faculty and staff - must register with UW email address and provide department name, office, and position.
If you are interested in financial assistance, CCFW offers two options:
· Income-based reduced fee of $275, available to individuals with an annual household income from all sources of $60,000 or less. For more details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
· A limited number of scholarships are available per course. To apply for a scholarship, please review criteria and complete the application form at https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mindful/237140 Important note: Scholarship applications are due three weeks before class start. Applicants will be notified 2 weeks prior to the first day of class. Applicants must wait to register for the course until a decision has been made in order to qualify.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Register for a Certificate of Completion and get CEUs. Our CEUs are available for licensed psychologists, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and social workers in Washington State. We cannot gurantee that these CEUs will be accepted in other states.
About the instructor
Elizabeth H. B. Lin, MD, MPH. Dr. Lin is a family medicine physician, clinical professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine, and an adjunct scientific investigator at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute. As a physician researcher, Dr. Lin and her team have conducted innovative research to improve mind-body health in general medical settings which have been adopted worldwide. Elizabeth has had a daily meditation practice for 25 years. She has trained extensively with Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and leaders in mindfulness, as well as Drs. Germer and Neff, founders of the Mindful Self-Compassion program. She has been teaching mindfulness and compassion for the last 7
The personal information you submit to the Center for Child & Family Well-Being will not be shared, sold, or disclosed to third parties in any form, for any purpose, at any time without your authorization.
Center for Child & Family Well-Being