From improving performance to reconciling clashing work styles, this certificate provides you with the skills to mediate and assist federal employees in exploring mutually acceptable resolutions to their disputes. It is a professional development opportunity to improve performance by helping colleagues navigate disagreements. This cohort-based program begins with a focus on fundamentals such as understanding interest-based negotiation and learning a four-step mediation process. Then, advanced practice classes add depth and complexity to specific elements of mediation.
REQUIREMENTS AND COHORT SCHEDULE
This cohort-based program is offered as a series of seven (7) workshops varying in length from half-day to 3.5 days. Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive a professional certificate. Past program graduates have gone on to join federal mediation programs in various agencies, including the Sharing Neutrals Program.
Who should attend? Federal employees or consultants looking to mediate in federal agencies or build a private mediation practice.
Program Information and Schedule (PDF)
- ADR: Beyond Mediation - July 9, 2020 (8:30 am-12:45 pm)
- Negotiation Skills - July 30, 2020 (8:30 am - 5 pm)
- Mediation Skills and Process (Federal Workplace Focus) - August 18-21, 2020 (8:30 am - 5pm Days 1-3; 8:30 am - 1 pm Day 4)
- Mediation Practicum: Federal Workplace - August 28, 2020 (8:30 am - 5 pm)
- Preparing Memoranda and Agreements - August 21, 2020 (2-5pm)
- Mediating Complex and Multi-party Cases - September 16, 2020 (8:30 am - 5 pm)
- Mediating EEO and Workplace Disputes - September 24, 2020 (8:30 am - 5 pm)
All courses take place at 9653 Fairfax Blvd, Suite 203, Fairfax, VA 22031.
Who should attend? Federal employees or consultants looking to mediate in federal agencies.