Build legal, financial, and business skills to strengthen your business.
Are you a small-scale farmer, rancher, or cottage food producer? Join the Council for Healthy Food Systems (the educational arm of the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance), University of Texas-RGV Texas Rural Cooperative Center, and Foodshed Investors for a day that will boost your business.
By learning about laws governing opportunities as diverse as produce, meat, dairy, eggs, value-added products, and agritourism, attendees can evaluate whether and how to diversify operations and diversify market risk.
On Thursday, Sept. 19, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (includes a working lunch), the focus will be on:
- Federal and state laws governing small-scale agricultural activities, food production, and sales (including the Food Safety Modernization Act, cottage food laws, meat processing, and more).
- Liability and insurance issues, including Whole Farm Revenue Protection and agritourism and product liability.
- Business issues, including legal structure/entities.
The 2-5 p.m. Thursday session is presented by Foodshed Investors and covers such topics as:
- When and how to pursue outside capital.
- Record-keeping and reporting.
- Government and private funding sources for small farmers.
For those interested in an in-depth, small-group consultation/Q&A with our experts, you can also register to meet with the presenter on legal and liability issues on Friday, Sept. 20, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunch is also included for this session.
Thanks to our funders, we are able to provide lunches for this event. Pleases help us prevent food waste by emailing if you must cancel your registration. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!