August 9 is commemorated as the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples in recognition of the first meeting of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations in Geneva in 1982.
Each year this day is celebrated around the world. A commemorative event is also organized at the United Nations Headquarters in New York by the Indigenous Peoples and Development Branch—Secretariat of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, which brings together indigenous peoples’ organizations, UN agencies, Member States, civil society and the general public.
The observance of the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples will take place on Friday 9 August 2019 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm in the ECOSOC Chamber at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. This year’s theme is "Indigenous Languages".
For more information please visit: http://bit.ly/2XKeBFC
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
In order to attend the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples event at the United Nations Headquarters, you have to complete the following steps:
- Register for the event on this website (Eventzilla) by clicking on "Register". Once you have submitted your information, you will receive a confirmation email.
Note: This email is not your ticket!
- Once your registration was approved you will get an approval letter that requires you to complete your registration (click on the link in the email).
- Only after completing your registration you will receive an email with your ticket (attached as PDF).
Note: Due to limited capacity in the conference rooms, not all registrants will receive a ticket to attend.
- This ticket is only valid when presented together with a Special Event Ticket (SET). See below for more information.
- On 9 August, bring your International Day registration ticket together with a valid government-issued photo ID to the United Nations Headquarters (46th and 1st Avenue entrance), where we will provide you with a Special Event Ticket (SET). This is done once we have properly verified your PDF registration ticket and a government-issued photo ID.
- The United Nations cannot provide assistance with travel, visa or invitation letters for this event. Emails or correspondence requesting assistance in this regard will not be replied.
- Special Event Tickets (SETs) are only allocated to individuals who registered online and whose registration was successfully processed. Tickets are non-transferable.
- Special Event Tickets (SET) will be handed out by the SPFII team from 9.00 to 10.30 am and from 2.00 to 2.45 pm in front of the UN Visitors entrance (46th and 1st avenue).
- All attendees must have a government-issued photo identification.
- Minors (age 18 and below) must register and be accompanied by an adult at all times. Accompanying adults must also register to attend the event.
- All attendees will be required to go through an airport-like security screening in order to access the United Nations Headquarters.
Please keep in mind
- Smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited in the conference rooms. Flash cameras are not allowed when meetings are in session, and cellular phones must be switched off.
- Participants may carry small briefcases or handbags into conference rooms. Large bags, suitcases, trolleys or carryalls are not permitted in the United Nations.
Journalists without UN credentials who wish to attend the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples 2019 with professional equipment should submit an online application to the United Nations Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit: http://www.un.org/en/media/accreditation/accreditation.shtml