Discover the Badlands in a different light
Join professional photographer Jason Odell for a unique photographic experience in the South Dakota badlands. This photo safari is dedicated exclusively to the use of infrared cameras to capture the unique and dramatic landscapes of the Badlands in a totally different light.
Each day we will have field photography sessions in the Badlands, as well as lessons on how to process infrared images for maximum visual impact.
- How to see in infrared
- Color & Monochrome infrared photography
- Composing for visual impact
- Processing and enhancing color and monochrome infrared images
- Processing landscape photographs
Intermediate to advanced. You must have an infrared camera and a basic understanding of how to work with your images on your computer.
Activity Level: Moderate to Mild
Most of our shooting locations will be very close to roadside parking. You must be able to walk with your gear over uneven terrain and loose soil.
- Digital camera converted for infrared capture (I recommend getting the full-spectrum conversion from Kolari Vision)
- Lenses to cover wide-angle to medium telephoto focal lengths (16-120mm range)
- Laptop computer with image editing software
- Solid neutral density filters (15-stop recommended, I use the Kolari ND Pro filters)
- Polarizing filter
- Telephoto lens (200mm or longer)
$1299 per photographer (maximum 8)
Reserve your seat with a $250 deposit before April 1, 2023. Final payment is due May 1, 2023. Deposits are non-refundable unless the event is canceled by the organizer.
Pre-event Zoom orientation on infrared photography techniques
Photographic instruction with Jason Odell, including both field and classroom learning
Guidance to the best shooting locations in the badlands
Image review and critique
Meals, lodging, transportation to the field sites, park entrance fees
Nearest airport: Rapid City (RAP)