FUNDAMENTALS OF PHOTOGRAPHY
"Good photographs don’t just happen; they are created!"
ABOUT THE CLASS
Do you own a digital camera but are not really sure where to begin? Do you have trouble figuring out how to take the photos you picture in your mind? PhotoSource's FUNDAMENTALS OF PHOTOGRAPHY class is the place to start! This fun, friendly, no-pressure class is specifically geared towards beginners and hobbyists. Our goal with this class is to provide a broad overview of the true fundamentals of photography: how your camera works, how to change the basic settings on your camera, how those settings relate to exposure, and how to tie it all together to create a great shot! The core concepts of this class will revolve around "The Exposure Triangle", which is the KEY to understanding photography and how to use your camera. Instead of letting your camera do the work, you'll learn how to control the camera.
We have condensed the material from our normal 3-night Fundamentals of Photography class to fit into a one-day session. There will be a lot of material to cover, so come prepared with something to take notes with and any questions you might have.
The class will take place on Saturday, August 4
- 8:45am - Doors Open
- 9:00am - Class Begins
- 12:00pm (approx) - Break for Lunch (lunch not provided)
- 12:45pm (approx) - Class Resumes
- 3:00pm - Class Ends
In order to respect your time and the time of the instructor, we will start promptly at 9:00am and will try to end promptly at 3:00pm. We have A LOT of material to cover in a relatively short amount of time, so we ask that you keep your in-class questions broad and applicable to the group.
KEY COURSE TAKEAWAYS
- Elements of exposure (The Exposure Triangle)
- How a digital camera works
- Adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO and how they interrelate
- How aperture, shutter speed, and ISO affect your final image
- How to freeze action shots, create 'blurry' backgrounds, and take well-exposed photos in varying lighting conditions
- How to compose an interesting and engaging image
* course topics covered and time devoted to each may vary slightly depending on the needs and feedback of the class
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS OF SIGNING UP
- You will have access to a private Facebook group led by the instructor. This invitation-only group will allow for ongoing photography dialogue, honest photo critiquing, tips/tricks, tutorials, questions/answers, and more. Participation in the exclusive group is completely voluntary. It is meant to be a bonus learning environment to supplement the classes.
- Each class will have a PowerPoint presentation, hands on demonstrations, group participation, and visuals throughout
- Complimentary light refreshments will be provided
- FREE print coupon - redeem for your choice of (3) 8x10s OR (1)16x20 print on either Premium Pearl or Glossy paper at PhotoSource - up to a $34.95 value!
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
"The only thing that is constant is change" - Heraclitus. Photography allows us to ignore that change for a moment, and capture a thought, an idea, a certain look or a view. A photo can expose the honest image of what we see, as we see it, or it can represent what we imagine or wish for.
In spite of quoting a Greek philosopher, I try not to take myself too seriously. I'm a guy with a camera. I love photography, I love capturing the beauty and form of what's in front of me...and I love sharing that with anyone who's interested. I enjoy running, hiking, food and of course my wonderful family. Just a few of the areas I work in are:
- Fitness/Sports Modeling
- Event Photography
- Product Marketing
- Conceptual Photography