BANNER IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A person stands in a field of grass with their hands upraised. Overlaid is a woman reaching in an ark over her head as well as the Unicamp of Ontario Logo which read "Unicamp- where you value come to play" written in rainbow lettering.
Study functional movement, led by Kathleen Rea. Information is relevant to the training, preparation, and performance of the moving human body and comparative data on flexibility, strength, alignment, injuries, and movement practices. Anatomical attributes and ways of moving that are basically safe and energy conservative will be explored. Kathleen will refer to physics, anatomy, and relevant scientific data from various fields.
Kathleen is inspired to teach this content as part of her ongoing studies and practice of:
- The MELT Method system of working with Fascia (Certified in hands and foot treatment)
- Buteyko Breath Technique (Certified Teacher). This training influences how Kathleen works with the diaphragm and oral tongue posture to influence core stability.
- Axis Syllabus (of which she is a teacher candidate)
FACEBOOK EVENT: https://www.facebook.com/events/414171380619431
LOCATION: Unicamp of Ontario, 38159 Prince of Wales Rd W, Mulmur, ON L9V 0C5
CLASS SIZE: Enrolment is limited to 15
DATES: September 2 to 4, 2022
Friday 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Saturday 10am to 12noon and 3:00pm to 6:00pm
Sunday 10am to 12noon and 1:00pm to 3:00pm
Plenty of time built in to enjoy swimming, campfires, hiking, and social time. Stay the Holiday Monday for a day off in nature.
COST OF WORKSHOP:
- Sliding Scale available: $120 – $210 (does not include meals or camping)
COST OF ACCOMMODATIONS:
- Group campsite- $32 a night (two campers with an additional guest $6)
- Dorm with three bunk beds (exclusive use of one side) - $100 a night
- Cottages -$150 to $200 a night
- Disability Rates available
COST OF MEALS:
- All 3 Meals are $33.00
- Breakfast Only $11.00
- Lunch Only $13.00
- Dinner Only $15.00
CHILDREN 5 - 15 years
- All 3 Meals are $21.00
- Breakfast Only $7.00
- Lunch Only $8.00
- Dinner Only $10.00
EVENTZILLA REGISTRATION FOR WORKSHOP:
To indicate your attendance and to get on Kathleen's registration list
PAY FOR PROGRAM, STAY, AND MEALS:
Please go to https://unicampofontario.ca/register/
and fill in Unicamp's "booking form" to pay for:
- The functional Movement Retreat program
- Meal plan
FOR MORE INFO: contact Kathleen at email@example.com
CAR-POOLINGAfter you receive the Eventzilla order confirmation, Kathleen will send you the carpooling link.
ALL LEVELS: No previous movement training is needed to attend.
TEACHER: Kathleen Rea danced with Canada’s Ballet Jorgen, National Ballet of Canada & Tiroler Landestheater (Austria). She fell in love with contact improvisation (CI) 21 years ago and has been involved in the CI community ever since. She has choreographed over 40 dance works and been nominated for 5 DORA awards. Kathleen has a Master’s in Expressive Arts with a minor in Psychology. She has a passion for functional movement and is a teacher candidate for the Axis Syllabus. She is also trained in the MELT method for hands and feet and is a certified Buteyko Breath Practitioner. She is the director of REAson d’etre dance productions a not-for-profit contact improvisation-based dance company that produces a weekly dance jam in Toronto, the Contact Dance International Film Festival, and dance-theatre productions. Being on the autism spectrum she also identifies as being neuro-atypical and works to educate the world about neurodiversity.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Bring a mask in case it is required
- a water bottle
- bathing suit (if you plan on swimming in the pond)
- bug-wear (long-sleeved pants and shirt and hat for dusk when mosquitos become active)
- Some might want knee pads if that makes moving on the floor more comfortable.
- Please also wear comfortable clothing that you can move easily in.
- a warm sweater as it may get cold at night
- There are wheelchair-accessible cabins and campsites available at Unicamp
- The building where the workshop takes place is wheelchair accessible.
- There are some areas of the ground around the building where the workshop takes place that have slight inclines and bumpy gravel and grassy areas.
- There are wheelchair-accessible washrooms
- The path to the swimming pond has some areas that are steep and narrow. The swimming pond is accessible by car and rides can be arranged
- Kathleen offers accessibility accommodations in terms of course content and adjustments to class content so that a wide variety of people can attend. If you have an accommodation or access question about Unicamp you would like to discuss with her please get in touch with her at firstname.lastname@example.org
All levels of vaccination and non-vaccination are welcome.
Masks are optional unless a partner you are working closely with requests that you wear one (so please bring mask(s) just in case you will need it). Please note: if Unicamp of Ontario requires masks for indoor spaces, this workshop will default to Unicamp's masking policy.
COVID PRE-SCREENING QUESTIONS:
Are you experiencing any of the following COVID-19 symptoms: shortness of breath/breathing difficulties, fever, coughing, loss of smell or taste, sore throat, headache, muscle pain, or chills? If so you must not attend the class. We will give you a refund if you have already paid.
Do you recognize that there is still some risk in meeting socially to practice movement during a Pandemic? Do you accept this risk as part of your participation?