Photograph the iconic white sand dunes and yuccas of White Sands National Monument November 1-4, 2017 while learning new photography techniques to create fine-art landscapes. This workshop includes early entry/late exit to the National Monument so we can be there for twilight/blue hour. We'll also be able to photograph the full moon as it rises over the dunes, making for some amazing photographs. We'll also photograph the Organ Mountain range and have special evening/night shooting of a native American petroglyph site.
Maximum group size: 8 photographers
Minimum group size: 4 photographers
Each participant will receive personal attention in the field during the shooting sessions. I will also provide "ask me anything" post-processing lessons and one on one support each day to all attendees. Topics will include the use of Lightroom & Photoshop for color and black and white image processing. We will also have group photo reviews and critique sessions.
Who should attend
Beginners through advanced photographers are welcome on this workshop. You will be expected to have a working knowledge of your camera and the fundamentals of exposure. Non-photographer companions are not permitted to attend the group activities.
Itinerary (Subject to Change)
• Wednesday, November 1: Orientation followed by sunset shooting of the Organ Mountain Range
• Thursday, Nov. 2: Sunrise shoot at White Sands. Mid-day: image review/processing. Evening Shoot: Sunset/Night at Three Rivers Petroglyph Site
• Friday, Nov. 3: Sunrise at White Sands. Mid-day image review/processing & individual exploration time. Evening: Full moonrise over White Sands.
• Saturday, Nov. 4th: Full moon & sunrise over White Sands. Workshop concludes at 9am. You may continue to shoot in the park or depart for home.
The workshop fee of $899 per photographer includes
• Field instruction
• Classroom instruction (Photoshop & Lightroom)
• Extended hours access to White Sands NM
• Image review & critique
Meals, lodging, and transportation to the shooting sites are not included. The entrance fees to White Sands are $5 per adult; National Parks passes are accepted and cover a driver and all passengers in that vehicle.
El Paso, Texas (ELP); approximately 1.5 hour drive
Albuquerque, NM (ABQ); approximately 3 hour drive
I have reserved discounted king rooms ($116/night + tax) at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alamogordo. All workshop activities will start and end from here, so I highly recommend staying there. I will provide booking instructions once the workshop has been confirmed.
Payment & Refund Policy
Earlybird registration: A $150 deposit placed before July 1, 2017 will reserve your space on this trip until September 1, 2017. Deposit non-refundable after July 1, 2017.
Standard registration: Fee is 100% refundable before July 1, 2017. $150 cancellation fee applies if you cancel before Sept. 1. 50% refund before Oct. 1.