Fall Photography in the Colorado Rockies
Join Jason Odell and Rick Walker (The Image Doctors Podcast) for a fall landscape/ wildlife photo safari in Colorado's Rocky Mountains. We'll be photographing in and around Rocky Mountain National Park, located in Estes Park, Colorado. You'll be treated to spectacular sunrises, alpine lakes & fall aspens, along with elk and other wildlife.
Experience Level: Open to all levels
You are expected to understand how to set exposure and focus in your camera. You will also need to know how to download and edit images with your computer or tablet.
Physical Activity Level: Mild
There will be no siginificant hiking on this safari, but you will need to be able to carry your camera, tripod, and other gear. Note that the elevation of some shooting locations will exceed 10,000'
Wildlife in RMNP
- Bighorn sheep
- Hawks & falcons
- Steller's Jay
- Clark's Nutcracker
Safari Fee: $1999 per photographer (max 8)
A $500 deposit reserves your seat until July 31, 2023. Final payment is due August 15, 2023. Save $100 when you place your deposit by April 30th, 2023.
Deposits are non-refundable unless the organizer cancels the event. Final payment is non-refundable; we recommend purchasing trip insurance for your workshop.
- Pre-workshop travel photography class (online)
- Field instruction & "ask us anything" support
- Image review session & personalized photo critiques during the safari
- Meals/Transportation/Lodging (we have rooms reserved for $120/night plus taxes and fees, and we will provide information when you sign up). You are not obligated to stay at our group hotel, but it will serve as our base camp.
- National Park entrance fee ($35 for 7-days)
Pre-Workshop Online Class: Fundamentals of landscape photography
Day 1: Sunday, Oct. 1
4pm Arrive in Estes Park for orientation, followed by warm-up shoot in Horseshoe Park
Day 2: Monday, Oct. 2nd
Morning Shoot: Sprague Lake and surrounding area?
Afternoon/ evening shoot: Moraine & Horseshoe Parks (elk and more)
Day 3: Tuesday, Oct. 3rd
Morning shoot: Trail Ridge Road (weather permitting)?. This road crosses over the highest points in Rocky Mountain National Park, and offers spectacular mountain views at sunrise.
Lunch in Grand Lake area, followed by roadside shooting on our return to Estes Park
Day 4: Wednesday, October 4th
Morning shoot: Bear Lake/ Bear Lake Road
Mid-day: Image Review and Critique with Rick and Jason
Afternoon shoot: Wildlife/Aspen TBD
Day 5: Thursday, Oct. 5th
Check-out and depart for home
- DSLR or mirroless digital camera
- Mid-range zoom (a 24-105 or 24-200mm is perfect)
- Telephoto zoom lens (70-200/ 70-300/100-400mm)
- Super-wide zoom (14-24mm or similar)
- Laptop computer with image editing software of your choice*
- We use Adobe Lightroom Classic & Adobe Photoshop
*You are expected to have a working understanding of how to download and edit your photos using your software of choice.
To protect your investment in this workshop in the event you cannot attend due to illness or other unexpected situations, I strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance to cover your workshop and travel costs. Contact me for a no-obligation quote.