Dr. Bidra is a board-certified maxillofacial prosthodontist and director of the Prosthodontics Residency Program at UConn School of Dental Medicine. He teaches advanced prosthodontics, subcrestal prosthodontics (implant surgery) and maxillofacial prosthodontics to post-graduate dental residents. He lectures on dental implants at regional, national and international meetings, as well as published extensively on implant surgery and prosthodontics in international scientific journals. He has developed
diagnostic, treatment and maintenance protocols for full arch fixed implant prostheses (hybrid prosthesis) that are used by many clinicians and prosthodontics programs in the United States. He has invented implant prosthetic components and is a co-inventor of an implant design.
Dr Bidra's practice is external to UConn and is limited to advanced prosthodontics and implant surgery (subcrestal prosthodontics) with an emphasis on esthetics and full arch fixed implant bridges.
Fixed implant-supported prostheses have gained tremendous popularity over the years. It is necessary to treat each patient uniquely and avoid using a generic or a similar design of fixed prosthesis for all patients. This presentation will focus on a systematic method of diagnosis and treatment planning that helps to categorize patients seeking fixed prostheses into 4 classes based on the amount of tissue loss, position of anterior teeth in relation to residual ridge, type of smile, need for lip support and need for gingival prosthesis. Additional practical considerations related to surgeries, choice of biomaterial, treatment cost, practice overheads, professional and at-home maintenance will be presented.
· To clinically differentiate various types of patients seeking implant supported fixed prosthesis using the 4 keys to treatment planning- bone, smile, lips and gums
· To understand when lip support is required and when it does not make a difference.
· To clinically differentiate when gingival prosthesis is needed and not needed.
· To understand management of edentulous gummy smile patients seeking maxillary fixed prosthesis.
· To understand professional and at-home maintenance protocols for patients with implant-supported fixed prosthesis
Speaker Sponsor: Nobel Biocare
This course is held in conjunction with the Fourth District