Black & White and Minimalism in the Icelandic Highlands - Semi-private Workshop with Marc Koegel - September 17 - 23, 2023
UPDATE: Only 1 seat remaining in this tour
Most workshops in Iceland concentrate on the southern coast and its tourist packed sights and iconic photo opportunities.
For this adventure focused photo tour, we like to take you off this beaten path to instead visit one of the most beautiful and stark, but also very hard to reach areas of the country: The incredible Highlands.
Experience moon-like landscapes, travel through black desserts, visit remote crater lakes, volcanos and rarely seen waterfalls.
We'll travel by way of a specially modified 4x4 super truck, which allows us to access even the most remote, rugged and difficult to reach areas with ease and in comfort.
For the past 10 years, Marc has travelled all over iceland - 22 trips in total. In recent years, his appreciation for the stark beauty of the highlands has grown ever stronger. It is now his favourite area of Iceland.
This photo adventure is limited to 3 participants only. This semi-private environment allows for lots of personal attention and frequent 1-on-1 interactions in the field, as Marc aims to work closely with each participant. This is a teaching workshop meaning you can expect Marc to look over your shoulder in the field, discussing your overall approach, composition, camera settings etc
Rather than sticking to a pre-determined itinerary, Marc will respond to the ever changing weather conditions and adjust our travel routes accordingly. Our small group will keep us extremely nimble and flexible. With the exception of the first night, we will be staying at the same hotel for all of our time in the highlands, so we can minimize travel and enhance flexibility even further.
Expect to photograph otherworldy landscapes, minimalistic scenes in the black dessert, and rapidly changing scenes such as patches of snow, active weather etc. And all of this with no other photographers around (aside from our small group of course).
This is the perfect photo tour for those who have visited Iceland before (and want to come back for more), as well as those interested in exploring more remote areas that are harded to reach and therefore often neglected by most photographers. Create photographs that distinguish easily from the well travelled iconic sites along the ring road.
Arrival and Departure:
The workshop group will meet in Iceland on September 17, 2023. Please plan to arrive no later than 4pm, so you can be in Reykjavik in time for our welcome group dinner at 7pm.
On the final day of our tour, September 23, you can book a flight anytime after 10am. Please contact Marc directly, at email@example.com if you need to book an earlier flight. You are welcome to extend your stay also, and Marc will be happy to help you plan your personal itinerary.
The fiirst night we will be at the Eyja Guldsmeden Hotel in the heart of Reykjavik. Transfer from the airport is included - please email Marc your flight details once booked, and he will meet you at the airport.
Once you register for this tour, please contact Marc and let us know your detailed travel plans.
Please click below for more information about this workshop.
What's included in this Workshop:
- 7 days/ 6 nights photo tour
- 6 night single occupancy hotel accomodation (you'll have your won private room)
- Private Airport transfer
- Travel in modified 4x4 vehicle capable of handling the Highlands
- Small group tour with max of only 3 partcipants - lots of personal instruction and guidance
- Breakfast each day
- Expert guidance and inspiration
- All Photography instruction in the field, image reviews in Iceland as well as an additional 1 month extended 1 to 1 online image reviews and post-processing guidance
What's NOT included in this Workshop:
- Flight to and from Iceland (we meet and say goodbye at the airport in Reykjavik)
- Meals other than included breakfasts
- Travel insurance (this is highly recommended) and personal expenses
- Anything not mentioned above as included
- A minimum of 2 and a maximum of only 3 participants
Physical Level: 3 / 5
- For this tour, our vehicles will be able to get close to the great majority of our shooting locations. Hikes will range from 5 to a maximum of 60 minutes with mild elevation gain. There will be opportunities to venture further for those who'd like to, but it is not required.
Extend your Trip:
For those interested in staying longer after the workshop (or arriving a few days early), Marc will provide you with guidance and suggestions. Just contact Marc directly for more information and to start a conversation.