The Digital Infrared Photography Master Class
Jason P. Odell
Join the “Image Doctors” Rick Walker and Jason Odell in Tucson, Arizona for an infrared photography master class that goes far beyond the basics and teaches you the skills to truly master infrared processing. This workshop includes field photography sessions in the Tucson area, where we will photograph subjects that are ideal for infrared capture, plus in-depth classroom time to learn how to work with digital infrared images.
This workshop goes beyond the basics, and is intended for intermediate to advanced amateur photographers who wish to learn the art and nuance of processing digital infrared images using Adobe Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. You are expected to have a fundamental working knowledge of either Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) or Adobe Lightroom Classic in order to work with your images.
During this workshop, you will get to photograph many locations that are iconic to Tucson and the desert southwest, including:
- Old Tucson & the downtown area
- Desert landscapes and saguaro cactus
- Mission San Xavier del Bac & cathedral
What You’ll Learn
- How to set up ACR/Lightroom with a custom camera preset for your own infrared converted camera
- How to adjust white balance on digital infrared images using ACR/Lightroom Classic
- How to adjust infrared images from cameras with different spectra (590-720nm)
- How to correct hot-spots in infrared images
- How to perform channel-swapping directly in ACR/Lr
- How to "blue-sky" effect in infrared images directly in ACR/Lr
- How to create dramatic monochrome infrared images in Lightroom and using Silver Efex Pro (Nik Collection by DXO).
- How to fix common artifacts including banding and noise
- How to create unique creative infrared styles using plug-in software
Pre-Workshop Online Class (Date TBA)
Before meeting in Tucson, we will conduct an approximately 2-hour online class (Zoom) on the fundamentals of infrared photography. During this session, you will receive your custom Adobe Camera Profiles and install them in Adobe Lightroom Classic (or ACR). You will also receive our custom Photoshop workspace, along with a set of custom Photoshop actions for infrared image processing. This will allow you to be ready to process your infrared images on Day One.
Thursday, February 23rd
5-6pm: Welcome session with Jason & Rick
Friday, Feb. 24th
8-11am: Field photography in Tucson area
11-12:30pm: Lunch (on your own)
1-5pm: Classroom Instruction
Saturday, Feb. 25th
8-11am: Field photography in the Tucson area)
11:30-12:30: Lunch break
1-5pm: Classroom instruction
Sunday, Feb. 26th
8-9:30am: Image Review Session
10am: Check-out and depart for home
Instructional Fee: $1699 per photographer
- Field and classroom instruction with a student-teacher ratio not to exceed 5:1
- Custom camera profile for processing infrared images in ACR/Lr that is specific to your personal camera that includes our unique channel-swapping settings
- Custom ACR/Lr presets
- Custom Photoshop actions
- Meals and lodging in Tucson (we have a group rate of $139 + tax at our hotel)
- Transportation to and from the shooting locations in Tucson
- Park entrance fees (when applicable)
- Infrared-converted digital camera (We recommend a converted camera from Kolari Vision)
- Laptop computer
- Current (2022 or later) versions of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic installed
- Nik Collection plug-ins by DXO (you can use the free trial version if desired)
Deposits are non-refundable unless the organizer cancels the event. Workshop payment is non-refundable within 60 days of the event, unless you can find a photographer to back-fill your space. We recommend travel insurance to protect your investment. Contact Jason for a quote.
About Your Instructors
Jason Odell & Rick Walker are photographers in Colorado, USA. They are the hosts of The Image Doctors Photography Podcast, and have been leading photography workshops and tours since 2007. Rick and Jason both specialize in outdoor and landscape photography, and have over 80 years of combined experience with both film and digital photography.