This event is kindly hosted for your educational enrichment by the Davie Police Department, 1230 S. Nob Hill Road, Davie, FL 33324 located in Davie FL. For additional training facility information, please contact Sgt. Mark Leone- Davie PD, Media & Public Relations at 954-693-8387.
About the Workshop
This interactive 2.5 day advanced federal grant writing workshop teaches law enforcement officers (LEOs), as well as law enforcement agency grant writers and new grants administrators how to: Find and comprehend federal funding opportunities; Develop Strong federal grant proposals and budgets; Online submission processes; How to conduct research in preparation for grant development activities, and much more. The workshop is taught from a federal grant reviewer's (funder's) perspective. This informative opportunity is specifically designed for law enforcement agencies, regardless of size or jurisdiction. Due to the sensitive nature of topics to be discussed and confidentiality considerations surrounding public safety/policing, only LEOs and law enforcement agency staffers are able to register for this event. This training is suitable for beginners, and opportunities will be provided for additional questions. Additional begining grant writer learning activities for interested attendees will be available, and are optional at no additionl cost.
* Notice to Registrants: This grant writing workshop is interactive. While it is not required, attendees are strongly encouraged to bring a tablet, computer, or other smart device with Wi-Fi capabilities in order to participate in all aspects of grant workshop's writing and research activities. Should you choose not to do so, please bring a note pad and pen in order to participate in the writing portions of the training. Additionally, at this time we are not able to offer CEU's for this workshop. For any questions related to workshop, please promptly email Nikki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 Law Enforcement Grant Writing Workshop, Montgomery Alabama
2017 Law Enforcement Grant Writing & Research Workshop- Davie, FL Agenda
(Topics with * symbol are interactive components of the workshop requiring computer, other mobile device)
Day One LE Grant Writing Workshop Agenda- Davie, FL
9:00 am -4:00 pm
- Federal Grant Overview
- Brief Grant Cycle Overview
- Types of Federal Grant Programs
- Types of Federal Domestic Assistance Opportunities
- Preparing for Success
- Developing Your Grant Writing Team
- Communication Skills
- Defining Your Federal Grant Proposal Process
- Identifying Grant Funding
- Knowing & Understanding Federal Grant Funding Purposes
- Finding Government Grants
- Comprehending the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA)
- Interpreting the FOA, RFP, Solicitation
- Terminology & References
- Defining the Problem
- Conducting and Organizational or Community Needs Assessments*
- Developing a Concise, Compelling Problem/Need Statement *
- Developing Goals & Objectives
- Defining Your Project/Program Goal*
- Developing Smart Goals & Objectives*
- Developing Approaches & Project Designs
- Designing the Solutions to Needs/Problems (Approach)*
- Creating a Successful Program
- Describing Your Management Plan
- Describing Your Organization's Capacity*
- Convincing Funders & Reviewers You Know What You're Doing
- Appropriately Demonstrating Partner/Collaborator Experience
- Creating Solid, Reliable Project/Program Timelines
- Q & A
Day Two LE Grant Writing Workshop Agenda- Davie, FL
9:00 am -4:00 pm
- Designing Effective Evaluation Plans & Tools
- Deciding How & When to Evaluate Your Objectives
- Developing Measures & Tools to Assess Outcomes & Effectiveness
- Understanding Funder's Needs for Evaluations & Assessments
- Dissemination of Findings (Sharing the News)
- Letters of Support, Commitment, and Memorandums
- The Difference Between Letters of Support & Letters of Commitment
- Learn Components of Each Letter Type
- Memorandum/Letter Must Haves
- Illustrating Key Staff Descriptions
- Resumes that Scream Experiences
- Creating Reasonable & Feasible Budgets & Justifications
- Costs (Direct, Indirect, Programmatic, Administrative, Overhead)
- Are Those Numbers Correct? Making Sure All Costs Derived Are Calculated Correctly
- Determining and Requesting Needs Not Wants
- Ways to Strengthen Your Grant Proposal
- Tooting Your Own Horn
- Using Evidence-Based Models
- Best Places to Find Most Recent Data
- Data, Data, Data Drives Need
- Project Sustainability, Partnerships, and Collaborative
- Targeting Perfection
- Writing Styles & Flow
- Objective Proof Readers and Criteria Review
- Visual Appearances Matters
- Finished Grant Writing, Now What?
- Program/Project Summary (when applicable)
- Delivering Your Proposal on Time
- Registering to Use Grants Management Systems (GMS)
- Online and Snail Mail Submissions
- Follow Through/Follow Up
- Political Influence
- Status Updates
- Responding to Grant Funder Inquiries
- Federal Objective Grant Review Overview
- Understanding the Grant Review/Objective Panel Review Process
- Interpreting Reviewer Comments
- Becoming an Objective Peer Reviewer
- Award Management Tips
- Electronic & Hard Copy Reporting
- Data Collection
- Q & A
Day Three LE Grant Writing Workshop Agenda- Davie, FL
9:00 am-1:00 pm
- Federally Funded Application Review Training
- Attendes will read, review, score and discuss a federally funded Homeland Security, FEMA, or DOJ along with the funding opportunity announcement. *
Customer Refund/Cancellation Policy:
- Workshop registrations will not be confirmed until registration is complete and billing information is received in full.
- In order to cancel or reschedule a confirmed training, please submit an email request to email@example.com.
- Please submit all cancellation requests within 30 calendar days of registration and no later than 15 days prior to the scheduled course date in order to receive a full refund of paid registration fees. Cancellations must be requested in writing.
- No shows and cancellations not made within the specified cancellation period will incur the full cost of registration. Future training registration are available in lieu.
- Staff/agency substitutions ARE accepted. Just email us. Not a problem.
Nikki Kirk's Consulting Services Refund/Cancellation Policy:
- Kirk's Consulting Services reserves the right to cancel any training course due to insufficient enrollment at least 15 calendar days in advance of the scheduled course date. Notice will be provided with the option to reschedule for a future course date or to receive a full refund of registration fees.
- Nikki Kirk & Kirk's Consulting Services are not responsible for any expenses incurred by the customer if a training workshop/event is cancelled. We will do our best to provide notification in a timely manner.
- If a training class is cancelled due to any unforeseen circumstances such as weather or natural disaster, the customer is entitled to reschedule for a future training course.
Davie, FL Travel & Lodging Accommodations
Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport
100 Terminal Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Laquinta Inn & Suites (Click)
8101 Peters Rd, Plantation, FL, 33324
Staybridge Suites (Click)
410 N. Pine Island Road Plantation, FL 33324
Call Toll Free: 877-238-8889
(Special Workshop Rate Available) When registering for your suite, use Group Name: Law Enforcement Group
Staybridge Suites Online Registration Group Code: LEG Stay Dates: Feb. 07- Feb. 12
Included in per night room rate: Complimentary Breakfast Daily,
24-hour coffee/Free, Evening Reception Daily,
Evening Meals Daily, and more.
Best rate available for the area/season! Blocked room availability is limited, reserve early.
Suite Reservation Contact: Daniel Anacan- Director of Sales, Staybridge Suites
Meet the Trainer - Canisha "Nikki" Kirk, B.S.
Nikki holds a B.S. in Business Administration from Franklin University in Columbus, Ohio, and has a certification in grant writing as well as grant evaluations from Research Associates via the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. Professional background includes: secondary and postsecondary education, HIV/AIDS, Sexual Assault, Children's Advocacy, Reproductive Health, At-Risk & Disadvantaged Youth, Immigrant Issues, Minority Males, and Animal Cruelty.
Nikki has worked in numerous capacities in the public sector including as nonprofit incorporator, advisor, and board members for early-stage and middle-stage not-for-profit entities, and has previously offered a wide range of nonprofit supports and technical assistance including: eLearning, compliance and corporate governance, resource development, employee sourcing and recruiting, grant readiness, risk management, trainings, capacity building, community economic development, federal, state, private, and foundation grant writing and federal grant reviews. Nikki has reviewed over 1,500 federal grant applications for various federal agencies.Nikki has assisted nonprofits in securing nearly $10,000,000 over the past 12 years in addition to providing comprehensive nonprofit management, consulting, and organizational development assistance. She loves what she does, and believes every organization no matter the age, mission, focus, target population or size deserves the same attention and care. Nikki formally contracted as a national grant writing trainer for Grant Central USA headquartered in Sacramento, California, and recently authored a new book, Simple Grant Funding Research. The book is available on Amazon.com and other sites online, ISBN- 13: 978-1512387070.