The Art of Drum Recording with Alan Evans
Alan Evans (Soulive, Karl Denson) returns to the Evergroove Academy of Recording to teach you the art of drum recording!
In this intensive 3 day workshop, you will work closely with Alan in a professional recording studio as he teaches you the ins and outs, as well as his secret tips and tricks, of drum recording - skills which you can immediately apply in the studio to improve the sound and impact of your music in any genre.
During the workshop you will learn about different drums, cymbals, and how to use specific types. Alan will teach you about drum tuning and the various types of drum heads, and then how to tailor them for your session.
Learn about microphones, their differences, and a variety of drum microphone techniques. Discover creative approaches to give your music a unique sound.
Alan will take you deep into drum mixing - equalization, compression, and creative techniques to bring out the very best in your drum recordings.
The workshop will also focus on critical listening and learning to identify various drum recording styles by simply listening to reference tracks.
There will also be plenty of Q&A and intimate discussion on the art of recording.
By the end of this workshop you will have new skills and knowledge which simplify the art of recording drums so you feel more comfortable and creative when it's time to hit record.
The Star of the Show
- Critical listening
- Choosing the right drum, heads, and cymbals for the recording
- What to do when you don't have the right drums, heads, and cymbals
- Drum tuning
- Choosing the right drummer for the session
- What to do when you can't choose the drummer for the session
- Helping the drummer feel comfortable in the session
- More listening
The Supporting Cast
- Choosing a room
- What to do when you can't choose the room
- What microphones to use and how many to use
- What microphone preamps to use and how many to use
- Where to place microphones
- Why do we check phase?
- Advantages and disadvantages of quick drum recording setups
- Advantages and disadvantages of whole day drum recording setups
- Critical listening
- Hitting record to see if we are happy
- Hitting record when we are definitely happy
- Premix ideas and techniques
- The importance of making decisions and committing
- Critical listening
Wrapping It Up
- Stems, mixes, remixes
- What to do when things go "wrong"
- What to do when things go "right"
With Your Paid Admission
As a paid participant of the workshop you will receive:
- A welcoming reception the evening of May 25th at Evergroove Studio
- Three days of instruction May 26-28
- One-on-one interaction with an awesome educational team
- One FREE hour of post-workshop one-on-one time with Alan Evans
- One FREE song mastered by Brad Smalling
- 15% off any one studio service at Evergroove Studio for six months
- Multi-track files of the session
- 1 FREE month of Kush Audio Plugins
- A chance to win a Telefunken M80 microphone
- A video of the workshop
- Cool swag!
- A variety of tasty beverages
- All at a mountain studio getaway just 45 minutes from Denver
What You Provide
- Breakfast and Dinner
- Lodging: Evergroove is an easy drive from Denver. However, for the workshop you may want to stay at one of our lovely local inns or rented rooms. It will feel more like a retreat if you do. Feel free to ask for recommendations!
- Evergroove is a short drive from Denver (and going against traffic!). It is DEFINITELY more gorgeous than your daily commute (unless you live up here, in which case you know what we are talking about).
- For out-of-towners: If you do not have a car, there is a local taxi service. You will also need to arrange for transport to and from the airport. Let us know your travel plans, and we’ll help you with options.
- Mentally steel yourself for information absorption - this workshop is intense.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Register through EventZilla. Registration ends May 25th.
- If we have to reschedule (snowpocolypse, Yellowstone supervolcano explosion, zombie alien invasion, etc.) we will offer a rain date.
- No refunds. But what if...? No refunds. Thanks for understanding.
- Audio or video recording the workshop is not permitted. Photos are encouraged.