Great Lakes Mixed Competition 1.0
First Annual Midwest World Cup-style mixed climbing citizens competition for beginners, crushers, and everything in between.
This competition has been in the works for years and now it's for real! For real comp format, for real prizes, for real trophy, for real food, for real apres party, and most of all, for real routes brought to you by Nathan Kutcher and Rebecca Lewis.
The comp is on Saturday, March 11th, but we are planning a full weekend event to make it worth while for those who need to drive a long distance.
We will have a preliminary round (top rope) for everyone and a final (lead) round for the top contestants. All competitors will climb the same routes in the preliminary round, the top competitors will advance to finals. All competitors that make it to the finals win prizes. The competitors who don't make it to finals will be ranked by age category and the top finishers will also win prizes.
The preliminary round will be open format, so you will be free to watch and cheer for your friends. The route setter will climb the routes as a demonstration before the competitors start so everyone can have the beta.
There will be multiple routes for the prelims, so everyone will get a chance to do a good amount of climbing in the comp. All competitors will need to bring their own leashless tools, crampons, harness and helmet. Rentals will not be readily available the weekend of the comp.
- People can roll in Friday night or Saturday morning
- The comp will start 10AM Saturday morning
- Open climbing Saturday on the comp routes after the comp is finished
- Food Saturday night
- After party Saturday night
- Space to sleep over. There will be a ton of space for people to sleep on the floor inside (bring a pad and sleeping bag) or set up a tent outside.
- Sunday pancake breakfast
- Sunday open climbing on the ice structure and the comp routes
- If you are new to drytooling, Sunday will be a good day to get Pro Tips! Learn by watching others and then practice on the comp routes!
**When registering, please answer the "Experience Level" question as honestly as possible for what you think you could climb on a good day. This will help ensure the routes are challenging yet fun for everyone**
Held at Peabody Ice Climbing in Fenton, MI.