The Germanna Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to exploring the Colonial Virginia frontier via the historic 1714 Fort Germanna and its German colonists and their descendants. It is located at the Fort Germanna Visitor Center In Locust Grove, VA, between Fredericksburg and Culpeper. Behind the Visitor Center is our 170-acre Siegen Forest nature and hiking trails along the Rapidan River.
The Foundation conducts archaeological exploration and conservation, genealogical research and publishing, and historic preservation and interpretation. Its Archaeology Program, run by a professional archaeologist and his team of archaeology student interns, conducts digs during the summer at the original Fort Germanna site seeking to locate remains of the actual five-sided fort and its walls. They also study the remains of Alexander Spotswood's "Enchanted Castle" on the same site.
The Germanna Foundation owns and maintains several historic sites and properties, such as Salubria Manor, that were part of or closely connected to the Germanna colonies, the town of Germanna, and the other early colonial Virginia settlements and towns in the Piedmont area of Virginia. For more information about the Foundation, go to its website: GERMANNA.org.
View other events